Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Put Your Candle Out

I’m following the same old way
A moldy path of self destruction
And run out of funds to feed my a hopes for all the outside world
Tired from laying awake at night
Bored from staying
And weary from running around
They handed me a map to escape
When I was too young to know the difference
And now that I’m older
Now that I’m older the rut has become the way to hell
I don’t choose to be sober in this life
Or in my heart
Why buy the land
When the garden yields free and clear
So long as you outrun the owners at all costs
And wear good strong shoes
Briars form a face and scratch the lows
In my darkest night
You know what you do to me when you don’t speak
And I too much
Give me a short break
I never knew I was leashed
So I ran around the post
Only to choke from the heart down
Oh, chain me
I wouldn’t mind half so much
If you’d let me know at times
Maybe you do, maybe you did
And I simply paid no attention
Maybe it’s wrong
To give of myself
To more than one in a week’s time
But I want you to know
It’s only because
You gave me the light
And the reason to put it out
Another’s tongue has put your candle out tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment