Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Short Affair With a CoWorker

The marks I leave
Only ever will be physical
The humor between us
Is as much a help as a hindrance
The fake smiles and snarls
Or, really, any mouth movement I happen to make
Are all in defense of myself
Not to better or worsen your mood
Not to build or destruct our bond
With a click of the tongue
I could demolish this tiny architecture
(And will one day)
What thread connects us
I could snap as soon as warning recommends
(I ask myself if I really could)
I can smell your fear
From across this tiny mile of carpeted cell
But maybe you've already noticed
The strength of mine may stamp it out
I pray you never know your power
If you haven't discovered already
Inescapably, and with all concentrated effort, wordlessly
I will see you tomorrow
Bright and early
Ready for the battle to begin again

No comments:

Post a Comment